All Scars painting challenge
Each member that wishes to take part pledges £10 and should they complete the challenge they get a share back at the end of the challenge. The actual challenge is to paint 750pts worth of models before Christmas. Though it’s been suggested that we use the last All Scars event before Christmas as the target (December 20th, Stage 4 of the Vordrast Incursion and the All Scars Christmas Party).
Now, I’m not the best person when t comes to getting motivated to put brush to model, but I saw this as an excellent incentive and so I’ve decided to join in.
My 750ptss will consist of my “core” units, Lord Morrow, sorcerer Unsa, and their respective 5 man biker squads (each sporting a pair of meltaguns and aspiring champions). Morrow and his boys as usual will be favouring Nurgle, whilst Unsa’s boys follow Tzeentch.
Not quite sure how I’m going to express their affiliations to the ruinous powers yet but I’m thinking along the lines of some of the illustrations in the Black Legion supplement where it shows some of the various dedicated troops.
This is how my bikes look at the start of the challenge, with only a handful even being primer/base coloured with black paint/spray. Several of my fellow challengers have already completed over 100pts a piece but I knew this was going to be a marathon, not a sprint.
Thanks to finishing work a little earlier today and having some pleasant natural sunlight streaming through the windows I decided to make a start on the first of my bikes. Using the basic colour scheme of my troops – silver trim over black, with metallic accents and the odd red details – I set too.
I did my silver trim, used screaming bell for several accents, and mephiston red on the control panel. Then I used auric gold for the skull emblem on the fairing and vomit brown for the saddle covering, before using abaddon black to touch up any bits that needed it.
One of my fellow All Scars has suggested a wash of 1:1 Agrax Earthshade-Lahmian Medium to add depth, so I may well look into that as the saddle especially looks a little flat/bland.
I’ve even invested in some new bases (most of my bikes had the old GW plastic cavalry slotta bases) and I’m planning on modelling them to look like a road surface (thanks to some cork coming from another All Scar, and a great video tutorial he pointed me in the direction of).
So, after just under an hours effort I haven’t actually finished a complete model yet but I’m happy with the progress and now I’ve decided on how I’m doing them the next ones should be easier and I will post updates as we go.
Days remaining – 70
Models/points completed – 0/0